SHANGHAI (Reuters) - U.S. electric vehicle maker Tesla Inc (TSLA.O) will on Friday raise its prices in China, earlier than planned, and is considering increasing prices again in December should Chinese tariffs on U.S.-made cars take effect, two people familiar with the matter said.
The people declined to be identified as the plan has not been made public. A Tesla representative did not immediately respond to Reuters’ request for comment on Monday.
- It's been quite common in this entire ordeal that we have seen both sides send conflicting messages on how optimistic/pessimistic the trade situation is and today is but another fine example of such a situation.
HONG KONG (Reuters) - Hong Kong police said on Monday they arrested 36 people, the youngest aged 12, after violence during anti-government demonstrations escalated as protesters hurled Molotov cocktails at security forces who responded with water cannon and tear gas.
BEIJING (Reuters) - China plans to ease capital requirement for infrastructure projects in the second half this year, in a bid to boost investment and fend off rising headwinds in the slowing economy, the state planner said.
The US has "all the cards" in trade talks with Japan.
Certain that Abe will finalize a trade deal with the US.
French wine tax will depend on talks with France on digital law.
The German IFO survey for August is lined up for release later today at 0800 GMT. The headline IFO Business Climate Index is expected to drop to 95.1 versus 95.7 previous.
The Current Assessment sub-index is seen weaker at 98.6 this month, while the IFO Expectations Index – indicating firms’ projections for the next six months – is likely to arrive at 91.5 in the reported month vs. 92.2 last.
24-hour view: “Expectation for USD to “trade sideways” last Friday was incorrect as USD nose-dived and extended its loss upon opening this morning. The rapid and sharp decline appears to be running too fast, too soon and while further USD weakness would not be surprising in the days ahead, for today, USD is more likely to consolidate its loss and trade sideways at these lower levels. Expected range for today; 104.40/105.40”.
Next 1-3 weeks: “After trading sideways for several days, the outsized plunge of -0.96% last Friday (105.39) and the weakness upon opening this morning came as a surprise (to put it mildly). The sharp drop early this morning appears to have dipped below the 2018 low of 104.55. While further decline is not ruled out, it is left to be seen if USD has enough momentum to challenge the next support at 104.00. All in, USD could trade in a volatile manner from here but unless it can move above 106.20, the immediate risk is clearly on the downside”.
(Reuters) - Opponents of a new law in Missouri restricting most abortions after eight weeks of pregnancy will ask a federal judge on Monday to stop the law from taking effect this week.
- It's been an action-packed start to the session already with risk trades observing a major turnaround after Trump talked up a trade deal with China in the early morning in France. That saw USD/JPY spike up from 105.20 to a high of 105.96 as risk assets rebound.
- Spread bets and CFDs are complex instruments and come with a high risk of losing money rapidly due to leverage. 75% of retail investor accounts lose money when spread betting and/or trading CFDs with this provider. You should consider whether you understand how spread bets and CFDs work and whether you can afford to take the high risk of losing your money.
CME Group’s advanced figures for JPY futures markets saw open interest rising by almost 9.9K contracts on Friday in combination with the second consecutive build in volume, this time by around 89.5K contracts.
- Top 50 publishers (last 24 hours)
- Reuters Top News 305 updates
- Bloomberg 298 updates
- FXStreet News 95 updates
- zerohedge 82 updates
- ForexLive 60 updates
- Financial Times 38 updates
- NYT Business 38 updates
- Bloomberg Markets 32 updates
- MarketWatch 32 updates
- Harvard Business Review 29 updates
- Businessweek 29 updates
- Real Time Economics 29 updates
- Adam Posen 28 updates
- Reuters Business 22 updates
- Donald J. Trump 20 updates
- WSJ Europe 15 updates
- Mohamed A. El-Erian 14 updates
- FT Economics 13 updates
- EIN Oil & Gas News 12 updates
- DailyFX 12 updates
- World Bank 10 updates
- St. Louis Fed 10 updates
- Finance News 10 updates
- Robert Peston 10 updates
- Paul Krugman 9 updates
- CMC Markets UK 8 updates
- City A.M. 8 updates
- RANsquawk 7 updates
- Guardian Business 7 updates
- ReutersBreakingviews 6 updates
- FxMacro 6 updates
- BBC Business 6 updates
- Deutsche Bank 6 updates
- WTO 6 updates
- IMF 5 updates
- Business Insider UK 5 updates
- FT Energy 5 updates
- ET Commodities 5 updates
- David Wessel 5 updates
- IEA 4 updates
- eFinancialCareers 4 updates
- The Economist Data Team 4 updates
- Minneapolis Fed 3 updates
- UltimateBlackbox 3 updates
- Deutsche Bank 3 updates
- Goldman Sachs 3 updates
- WSJ Markets 3 updates
- Nick Robinson 2 updates
- Binyamin Appelbaum 2 updates
- New York Fed 2 updates